Friday, December 14, 2012

Patrick LeClerc

Today we have the honor of meeting Mr. Patrick LeClerc the author of Out Of Nowhere which is the story about Sean Danet, an EMS worker, who loves his job and his co-workers. Life is good until he goes out on a call and helps a guy with a broken ankle then very bad people with the ability to transport into thin air comes after him to kill him. But he also meets a beautiful lady who could be the one and the two of them along with a few awesome co-workers becomes an unstoppable force against the bad guys. This is a very cool love story and Sean Danet is a kickass hero. Want to see my review? Click here. If you would like to purchase the book now click here.

Here is what Mr. LeClerc has to say:





Cloey: When did you become interested in writing?

Patrick: Early on. I always liked making up stories. I think reading "The Hobbit" when I was around ten or so opened up my imagination to the idea that you really have unlimited scope to make up stories. It was the first actual fantasy book I ever read and it was an epiphany.


Cloey: What inspired you to write Out Of Nowhere?

Patrick: I call it my "Sound of Music" book. You know, "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things." I wanted to write a book about EMS, but my efforts fell kind of flat. And I had vague idea for a story about an immortal hiding from his past among the crowds of humanity. When I decided to combine the efforts, it really started to flow.

It was a perfect vehicle for me to throw in references to history, military, medicine, cooking, and just my own twisted philosophical outlook. It's the thing I've had the most fun writing.


Cloey: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Patrick: I guess I'd like people to see the immutable nature of humanity. How people are more or less the same across cultures, races and centuries, and to think about their own ideas as to what makes "us" better than "them."

And that life is too short to eat bad food.

Cloey: Who was your favorite character and who was your least favorite character and why?


Patrick: Pete and Monique were the most fun to write. With Pete, I just channel my most insensitive comments and turn off the internal editor.

Sarah was the most challenging. She had to be a fully realized character, not a cliche, not just a damsel in distress. I wanted a believable female character, with motivations and reactions that would ring true. Unlike Nique, she's in a profession I don't know all that well, and has areas of knowledge that i don't, so it was a stretch.

Doors was probably my least favorite, since he pretty much embodies a lot of traits that I really hate. I still wanted him to be a believable person, not a cliche.

Cloey: What did you enjoy most about writing Out Of Nowhere?

Patrick: Writing dialogue. I just kind of let it flow, and when I'm on my game it's a pure joy. When I'm off my game it's a slog, but the times it just seems to write itself are one of my favorite parts of being a writer.

Cloey: What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing the story to life?
Patrick: As I said before, trying to get into the head of the female love interest was a challenge. I also really wanted to get the historical facts right, but I've always been interested in history, so that was fun as much as anything else.

Really, the biggest challenge for me is marketing the book. I'm not well versed in social media, and I've never been much of a salesman. It's a big learning curve for me.


Cloey: Through my review and this interview I will bring your book to a few readers and they will tell their family and friends about the book and word will spread from there.

Cloey: If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in Out Of Nowhere?

Patrick: Right now, I don't think so. I'm really proud of it, and the crew at Firedance was very helpful, but not demanding. They enabled me to make the book better, but let me keep my voice.

Cloey: What are you working on now?

Patrick: About three fingers of Jameson's.

Seriously, I have a fairly straight military science fiction piece being edited right now. I have a fantasy story in the style of the old pulps like Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, and I am getting started on the sequel to OON.

Cloey: What do you like to read in your free time?

Patrick: I like crime fiction, wisecracking detective stories like Robert B Parker's Spencer novels, or Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. Terry Pratchett is always a favorite.

I do most of my reading between ambulance calls, so i need a book I can put down then pick back up and not lose the plot.

Cloey: Share with us something about yourself that we wouldn't see in your bio or on any other blogs (this can be anything from the type of music you like, your favorite color, or even your favorite meal - share whatever you want your fans to know about you)

Patrick: My favorite breakfast food is cold pizza. It's odd because I'm usually a pretty hardcore food snob, but I looove cold pizza for breakfast. I can't rationally defend it, but it touches my happy place.

I will deny that to the last breath, of course.


CloeyThank you so much for discussing Out Of Nowhere with us today.





Want to know more about Mr. LeClerc? Check out his bio:

PATRICK LECLERC MAKES GOOD USE of his history degree by working as a paramedic for an ever changing parade of ambulance companies in the Northern suburbs of Boston. When not writing he enjoys cooking, fencing and making witty, insightful remarks with career limiting candor. In the lulls between runs on the ambulance—and sometimes the lulls between employment at various ambulance companies—he writes fiction. You can find more of it at http://inkandbourbon.com or follow him on Twitter @PatrickLeCler17

Buy it today at amazon




0 comments:

Post a Comment